Tuesday, July 3, 2007

We're in Bangkok! Sorry this post doesn't have a heading, the computer wants to put it in Thai and I can't read the characters. Anyway, Thailand is beautiful and it was such a relief to get here! The last week I was in India, I developed a horrible parasite that made my intestines constantly cramp up. Very unpleasant, but I took a super-antibiotic that they give to anthrax victims and it cleared it up. That meant that I lost about 5 pounds. Getting to Thailand, I am sure I will gain that back quickly (which is good because I look weird that thin). The food here is really good. The people are REALLY friendly. AND the city is fascinating. They just built a new subway and a new airport, both of which are amazing!

OH and Josh and I got engaged! We had a ritual blessing by a Tibetan monk in Dharamsala, India, which was interesting and incomprehensible (it was all in Pali). I am very excited about the wedding. We're thinking 2008 in Hawai'i!

Josh and I are going to try to go to Vietnam and maybe Ko Samui on weekends, when I'm not really busy with work. I am looking forward to these excursions. Southeast Asia is really interesting!

I haven't started working yet. Tomorrow I will tour some governmental buildings and then Thursday I will finally get orientation at my office. The firm is called Dej Udom, and they have a website if anyone wants to get it out.

Sorry it took me so long to post this time. We were out of internet access for about 5 days and I just found this internet cafe, which is really close to my hotel. So, hopefully I will have more time to post now that we're settled in Bangkok.

Still no pictures...these computers look a little more high-tech, so maybe I'll be able to negotiate some way to get my camera hooked up to do some uploading!

:) Elizabeth

6 comments:

John Menn said...

holy crap! that's awesome that you and josh are engaged! i hope you're having a lot of fun, it seems like it besides the parasite thing...

see you in like 6 weeks when you get back here

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your time in India went so well. I bet that it went fast too. Do you enjoy the work in Thailand? I can't wait to see your pictures. See you soon, Paul

Anonymous said...

What an excellent opportunity this is for you, Sweetie. We had a great 4th of July. Wis. Rapids really has a beautiful fireworks show and this year was certainly not a disappointment. Miss you so much.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chick!
I'm glad you're having a good time, also glad that Bangkok is nice. We will arrive in Shanghai on July 27th, Delhi in August. Take lots of pictures and we can compare next year. :)
Love,
Honey

Anonymous said...

Pattie and I have been following your progress, what an experience! We printed postings for Grandpa and Grandma V so they could see what you have been doing. Enjoy a terrific learning experience.
Mark & Pattie

jeremy said...

Oh and...

wow! really? wow!