Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Exciting WORK, can you believe it?

So, shortly after my comment about how boring was has been I got a REALLY exciting assignment. A man who was a Vietnamese refugee to Thailand came to our law office seeking legal assistance. He was in a concentration camp for 14 years in Vietnam before he fled to Thailand and was granted asylum in the US. His problem was that a woman had forged a marriage certificate that said they were married and she sued him for financial support in US Family Court. The court didn't do anything to verify the certificate, but just accepted that it was valid. They told him he'd have to come to Thailand to get proof that it was fake. So he did. He came to our office and asked to deal with a lawyer who speaks native English. In the entire office there is one person who fits that description: ME. I drafted a letter to send to the United Nations High Commission on Refugees asking for their assistance (that was last Thursday). Then yesterday (Tuesday), I accompanied my client to the UN building where we met with a UN official who gave us written confirmation that the marriage certificate, even if it wasn't forged, isn't valid under Thai law. I was really excited because we weren't sure we would get a letter of any sort and the one I got is really detailed. I hope I have been able to convey how BIG this project was. I got to meet with a UN official! I got to act as legal representation for a man who was in a Vietnamese concentration camp for 14 years! Alright, hopefully you get it.

Josh and I are going bowling tonight. Should be fun? I can't decide if I cherish those years of bowling lessons (every Saturday for 4 years, making me have at least the right form and take the right number of steps before throwing the ball) or regret them (this training gives people the false impression that I should be GOOD). We'll see. Don't know what we'll eat. Maybe they'll serve hamburgers and hot dogs like they do at bowling alleys in the US. What I wouldn't GIVE for some good nachos; the kind with the fake, obviously-not-cheese and dyed yellow tortilla chips.

Have I mentioned that I miss the food I normally eat?
Love,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,

We will be sure to feed you lots of good Wisconsin food while you are home in August. Poolie promises steak and corn on the grill.

The places we would not have wanted to miss in Europe? I loved Octoberfest in Munich - excellent. We agree that Iona, Scotland was amazingly spiritual and worth the trip. Be sure to eat some of the cheddar cheese made on the Isle of Mull and drink single malt scotch. Dublin was fun - especially on a day when they were playing soccer against England. The Book of Kells at Trinity College is a must see.

Love,
Mom