Monday, July 9, 2007

Dej-Udom

I started my job at Dej Udom Law Offices last Thursday. I sit at a desk and wait for people to come ask me to proof-read legal documents for grammatical mistakes...Sorry to say that is entirely true. The exciting thing I'm doing is some research for Kun Dej Udom himself on the possibility of starting a Juris Doctor program in Thailand. In most other countries a law degree is taken as a Bachelor's degree, not a Master's. So I'm writing a report comparing some Juris Doctor programs where they exist. The report will conclude with my suggestions for Thailand. Given that Dej Udom is the President of the Legal Council of Thailand (like the American Bar Association) my suggestions could easily become Thailand's first Juris Doctor program.

My favorite thing about Bangkok: for breakfast I buy a bag of fresh pineapple that is the BEST pineapple I have ever had and it only costs $.30. It's AMAZING! I didn't know I love pineapple so much!

Josh and I are going to Ko Samui this weekend to relax on the beach. It's an island in Southern Thailand. We got a bungalow that is 5 meters from the water. I'm sure I'll have more interesting things to write about after we get back!

Funny story of the day: I refused to have an x-ray for my work permit and got in a HUGE fight with a Thai doctor. Hopefully the doctor at the clinic I go to tomorrow will not make such a ridiculous claim as: "You should have a chest x-ray every year of your life to monitor your health. If you don't do that in your country, maybe it's because your insurance is bad." Wow.

:) Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ko Samui is amazing - if you get a chance, go to a full moon party on Ko Pha Ngan which is nearby, or Ko Tao for scuba diving. You will be able to stay on the beach for $1/night.

Damian