Sunday, September 23, 2007

Exploring Groningen

Today Josh and I went for a walk (I think I have bronchitis, so I wanted to take it easy but still get some exercise) and discovered a fascinating new place. It's about 3 minutes on foot from our apartment. At first glance it looks like a park/woods with trails, which is very nice since it's right here in the city. Then you walk about 100 yards and what do you see? Hairy cows. That's right, the Highland cows with super long hair that hangs in their faces. They're very cute. We were looking forward to seeing some of them in Scotland, but here they are right by our apartment! Keep on walking down the path and you come to a fenced in area with various sizes and types of goats, and one sheep. I love little goats, so that was exciting. I even got up the courage to pet one! Further down the path there is another fenced in area of LARGE grey and white geese (maybe they were geese...hard to tell). Across from that fenced in area there are tame deer! Beyond the animal area there are more paths, open fields, soccer fields, volleyball courts. Leaving the park we saw people taking a HERD of ponies back to their stables. Wow. We will surely spend a lot of time at this park in the future. Maybe I'll convince someone to let me ride a pony!

No comments: