Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Taj Mahal!

We went to see the Taj Mahal super early in the morning, which was nice because "The Taj" (as we in the know call it) changes color throughout the day. So in the morning it was a light glowing white. I took a TON of pictures. So beautiful.

It was getting warm so we headed back to the hotel for breakfast. There were hashbrown potatoes (the totally pre-constructed patties that are really bad for you), which made me feel SO good. I think I'm getting food-homesick. Is that foodsick? That seems like it would imply something else.

Anyway, after breakfast we went to the Agra Fort and a marble workshop. The marble workshop is neat. There are only a couple of families in India that are responsible for mining and doing the precious-stone in-lay in marble. So the people who are doing it now are direct descendents of the people who did the Taj. I bought a $40 tiny marble box. It is beautiful and worth it. There were other marble items ranging into the $10,00+ range!

The Agra Fort was nice, though the British looted it when they were taking over, so most of the in-layed stone was removed. Kind of sad. But the structure of the building is impressive anyway!

Alright, that is it for now. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pictures, but that is proving difficult! So soon pictures will be posted!

Love to all! I miss home a bit, too.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Elizabeth

It sounds like your having a crazy trip so far. I hope you have a great time! Don't forget to save time to study! Is there time for that? :-)

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi elizabeth! bob and sue here,
we have been checking your daily
updates. thanks for keeping us
all posted. think of you often
wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

The Taj sounds great. Hopefully I'll get to see it too. How far is it from your hotel to The Taj? I hear it's a bazillion degrees there and almost time for the wet season. If you go to Delhi and see an elephant in the street, take a picture for me. Some don't believe there are elephants in Delhi. I'll have to explain some other time. :)
Love,
Honey

Anonymous said...

We leave for the Conference meeting tomorrow morning. I hoping to see a new entry in your blog before we go.

G'ma is home from PA, Papa visited Sister Therese in La Crosse, and I finshed the top for the quilted wall hanging with the big stringer of fish in the front and a log cabin border.

Love,
Mom