Tuesday, June 12, 2007

शिमला में

We're still in Shimla. Today we went to the Viceregal Lodge, where the viceroys of the British Empire used to stay when it got too hot in Delhi. It was beautiful, and HUGE. Lots of wood paneling. Unfortunately they wouldn't let anyone take pictures inside. So I got to see the room where they discussed the formation of the Indian Constitution. AND I got to see the table where they sat and agreed to partition India and East and West Pakistan. These were very exciting moments for me.

On the way back I stopped at a Kali temple, which I had passed before but never entered. It was AMAZING. There were people gathered inside singing and playing drums and cymbals. SO cool. Don't worry Mom, no blood or animal sacrifice was involved.

On a personal note, I have a sinus infection. This is self-diagnosed. I also self-prescribed myself omoxycilin, which I purchased from the "chemist" on the street. $3 for 24 tablets. Hopefully I'll feel better by this weekend. I think the dust finally got to me.

I'm sure there are million things I'm leaving out. Did I mention the Buddhist monk who was flirting with me? Hopefully I did because that was quite the highlight of this trip. A man who is supposed to be striving for detachment seemed quite infatuated with me :) take that nirvana!

I miss everyone. Comment on my posts...it makes me feel validated!
Namaste,
Elizabeth

P.S. Gave money to a sannyasi on the street who blessed me. Good karma!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,
G'ma, Poolie & I are all reading this together. Self-diagnosing, that's interesting. Hope you feel better.

It is hot here. 90s all week.

Love you and miss you,
Mom et al

P.S. G'ma now knows how to post a comment here so you'll be hearing from her soon.

jeremy said...

Happy to hear about your Buddha call. :-)

Aunt Wendy said...

Hi Izzy,
What an adventure you are having! Sounds truly awesome! Will you get to see Everest in your travels? Hope the chemist's mix is helping you feel better.

Boys finished school today. Tay is at 6 Flag Gr. America with his class and leaves for DC on Monday for a class trip. Just the start of summer 'busy'.

Love, AW

John Menn said...

hey sounds like you're having an awesome time! hopefully by the time you get back to the cyber-world you'll be pleased with your theutates thunder raiding force!

-john menn